Working tax credit: payment during employment, gaps and leave

You can only obtain a working tax credit when you are legally employed by an employer, let that be someone else’s company or let that be your own company. There are certain periods when you don’t work yet you are still eligible for getting a tax credit. Let’s get to see these periods.

Although being legally employed is a standard requirement to be considered eligible for working tax credit there are certain periods of leave when someone can still opt for a working tax credit these periods include the following:

There is a certain period someone is allowed to get this credit however. If one does not return to work at the end of this per-specified period the payment of tax credit would also stop. You need to call Tax Credit Telephone Number UK to get specific information on the length and the allowed duration of each period as it primarily depends on someone’s exact circumstances but there is the basic table that represents the normal allowance periods:

Your current circumstance the allowed period
Someone loses or leaves his/her job 4 weeks at maximum
Someone goes on a maternity leave the first 39 weeks of the leave
Someone goes on adoption leave the first 39 weeks of the leave
If someone goes on a paternity leave equals the period of normal paternity leave
If someone is on additional paternity leave the equivalent of the partner’s 39 weeks
If someone goes on a steady sick leave

the first 28 weeks of the leave

If someone goes on a strike the first 10 days
If someone is fired or loses employment other way 4 weeks counting from the day of being laid off
If someone gets suspended at work

the period of suspension usually

The normal requirements to be able to obtain working tax credit for the duration of any of these upper mentioned period is to be legally employed by a company and to prove that the minimum required amount of working hours has been fulfilled. For sick leave you need to prove that you were also paid the Statutory Sick Pay or another benefit (National Insurance credit or Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support) equivalent to this. All these mostly apply also for those who are self-employed.

The document requirements may vary according to your exact circumstances so call the tax credits number, the way you are employed or self-employed and you might also be required to provide with additional documentation if the government wishes so.

We must also underline the fact that in some areas within the UK equal the Universal Credit but the way to apply is the same as if you applied for a working tax credit, let that be first application or renewal. The only thing different is that you will get additional paperwork letting you know that your credit has changed to Universal Tax Credit. Check out the website of for more information.